Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 24 Self Talk

When talking to some students about their nutrition, I often hear the words, "It's hard".  This is often followed by excuses as to why it's hard to eat correctly.  Some excuses are:
  • "My company ordered in lunch and all they provided was sandwiches, chips and cookies. "
  • "I have to eat out a lot to entertain clients." 
  • "My best friends birthday is coming up and we are going out for dinner and drinks."
  • "My parents or friends are having me over for dinner."   
  • "I travel a lot and don't have good choices."
 We love to put the blame on someone or something besides ourselves.  If you put up a mental block and provide yourself with excuses rather than solutions, then yes, it's hard.  You can however, make it much easier on yourself.  Instead of looking at everything in a negative manner, take initiative, control and stand up for yourself.  If you truly want something.  If you truly want to be healthier, lose a few pounds, prevent disease, prolong your life, feel better, have a stronger mind.....then change your attitude.  You have to be willing to change the way you think, create reasons why you CAN, stop saying "It's hard" and start saying, "It's easy".

How you talk to yourself has a HUGE impact on whether you can, can't, it's hard or it's easy.  We are all given different genes and talents, but the WILL, self talk and attidude to be our best is completely up to you!  Let's examine the above excuses and see how we can change your mindset, self talk and attitude.  Suggestions in blue. 


  • "My company ordered in lunch and all they provided was sandwiches, chips and cookies. " 
    • Instead:  I take my lunch to work.  So when when the company decides to have a lunch meeting, I'm prepared.  
    • or:  I've suggested to my company some healthy alternatives to those of us concerned about our health.  I emphasized the difference of performance after eating certain meals.
    • or:  I took the bread off the sandwich, ate the meat, lettuce and tomato.  After the meeting, I stepped out real quick to grab a healthy snack or meal from the grocery store.
  • "I have to eat out a lot to entertain clients." 
    • Great!  This is my opportunity to have someone else chop up my salad!  Saves me some work in the kitchen at my companies expense!  Now Mr or Ms. Waiter.  I'll take the Grilled Chicken Salad, just remove the bacon, croutons and put the dressing on the side."   or Mr. or Ms. Waiter, I see you have a Grilled Chicken Sandwich with fries.  Can you omit the bread and replace the fries with the grilled vegetables?"
  • "My best friends birthday is coming up and we are going out for dinner and drinks."
    • You know this is coming up, so maybe this is your free meal night.  Have fun.  
    • OR  order just like the above recommendation and offer to be the designated driver!
  • "My parents or friends are having me over for dinner."   
    •  You know this is coming up, so maybe this is your free meal night. 
    • OR offer to bring a dish, or just show up with some fresh raw vegetables as an appetizer.  
    • OR explain your new lifestyle, either they can work around your menu or you can have them over to your home. 
    • (I also covered this in a previous post - so refer back regarding talking with your parents about your new lifestyle!)
  • "I travel a lot and don't have good choices." 
    • You ALWAYS have good choices.  It's just a matter of finding them or preparing prior to your trip and packing up some tools and snacks to take with you.  I've also covered this in a previous post! 
With the right mindset, you can make your healthy lifestyle journey much easier on yourself.   I'm often thrown excuses and with every excuse, I have a solution.  I'm not saying you can completely change over night, but if you truly want to succeed, you have to change the way you think and APPLY the techniques, strategies, knowledge and your WILL!  When you fall, it's just about being strong enough and determined enough to brush it off and start again.  As with anything in life.  We would never know how to ride bikes, drive cars, read a book, learn a sport if we didn't fall and get back up!

Going Strong.....ALL DAY LONG!

1 Comments:

Blogger Caroline Brown X3 Sports Nutrition said...

Thank you!

April 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home